Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Lattice, not Lettuce

Finally, it arrived today along with a set of ink pads! My lattice die has been on backorder for a while but happy dance it is here, out of the box, out of the packet, on the big shot and voila! I've cut it twice as I wanted a 'long' piece.

20130409_185218 

My little ink pads came too - some are duplicates but these are so handing when it comes to transporting and I will all being well, in need of transporting them later this year. They're pretty neat when it comes to wanting to ink little things.
 20130409_193641

And so, using the lattice die, I've made this little (well it's 6x6") card. I've trimmed the lattice so that I have it going across the top. The bottom part, that is an offcut from the card I made the other die using the edgelits. I've used the borders scoring plate to add a little wave and as it is on the core'dinations cardstock I've sanded it slightly. The butterfly is an extra that I stamped yesterday using the fabulous butterfly (Swallowtail) stamp.

20130409_193609 

Ingredients: Sizzix bigz Lattice die - 115958 £18.95
Borders scoring plate - 126192 £13.50
Stamp Swallowtail - 129216 £12.95 Versamark ink pad - 102283 £6.75
Early expresso emboss powder - 128980 £3.95
Heat tool - 129054 £25.95

Day Nine - The 'I" has it...

Ok, so, continuing the theme, we're on day nine so we are at 'i' in the alphabet. Now, i racked my brain with this one, and whilst sipping on that end of the day g&t, I got it. Today is about insulin. Now why have I picked insulin? My dad, he's diabetic, he got in his later life and is now injecting insulin.

I don't know why he became diabetic in his later life, and as far as I know, there is no one else who is diabetic in his line. Now, I would just like to say thanks to the team at the University of Toronto back in the 1920s. Fred Banting and J Mcleod were awarded the Nobel prize in physiology or medicine for the discovery (Fred shared his prize with Charles Best and McLeod shared his with J Collip). One half-dollar was the cost of the patent to the University of Toronto. 

There have been a few Nobel prizes in respect of insulin, including the Nobel prize in chemistry. Nicolae Paulescu, it was later decided, was equally worthy of the award in the 1920s having discovered insulin but not for human use, he initially discovered it in relation to a dog - you can of course head over to Wikipedia but I would really love it if you could take some time out and visit this website - JDRF - to find out more about diabetes and how it affects not just the person that has it, but those that care for people with it.

May the crafting mojo be with you :)

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...