Friday, 12 April 2013

Lamenting ...

And so, yes I am lamenting the passing of my iMac.  It has done well these past five years and now having wiped the hard drive (having backed up what I could) and reinstalled the original OS (2008 version, how old does it look!).  I am here, working on it with the bare bones.  I can't get snow leopard on it let alone get back up to lion due to the fried drive, smart errors that can't be fixed, get a new hard drive basically.  I spent much of yesterday, backing up and then endeavouring to repair the disk but to no avail. So, I've done that, got a new hard drive coming in the form of a new iMac.  We'll try and salvage this one and get a new hard drive but it is a flaff with getting it changed and I need my iMac on a daily basis.  Anyway, all I can say is thank you educational pricing, being an Open University student has its advantages.


On that note, the essay has succumbed somewhat, I have the latest back up but that isn't as good as the essay I had before the frying took place.  I've managed through jiggery to get the backup off the iMac and onto the iPad so using pages to continue with it.  I may still need to ask my tutor if I can have a couple of extra days, and there was me thinking I was 'kin finished with it yesterday, ho hum.


His nibs went to London yesterday, to receive an award for the work that his old squadron (and himself who I must say did quite a lot of the organising) for the RAF Benevolent Fund.  Doesn't he look smart in his number ones and his snazzy (NCIS!) haircut.  He'll know what I mean :)  He is now over at Cromer Air Cadets so if you fancy joining up, go for it, he's hardly home at the weekend with volunteering his services!


Pilot Officer Brian Keerie, on the left


To ease the pain whilst I Lament the Loss of my iMac, and listen to the kids (and grown up) playing battlefield, I've made a card.  I must sort some out seeing I have a craft fair tomorrow with MIL (mum in law).  Although, as I seem to have picked up the Lurgie from kids and other half and from work, I am not feeling in fine fettle.


You might be able to see it, but I have used the chevron embossing folder that I have inked with some marina mist ink before embossing my cardstock. I've mounted this on to a piece of the tea for two dsp and the ribbon is some of the floral trim, available in the spring/summer catalogue.  I've stamped up some stamps from the Aviary set using some old olive and early expresso ink (available in the getting started stampin' spots selection as well as individually as large pads).


Stampin' Up! aviary, chevron embossing folder and floral trim.

Now, seeing that the mac has had a wobbly, here's a bit about Linux, note that we are also at the letter 'L' this day 12 of the ultimate blog challenge!.  If you've not come across Linux, it's an open source operating system for intel based systems.  It has since been ported to more computer hardware platforms than any other operating system. It is a leading operating system on servers and other big iron systems such as mainframe computers and supercomputers: more than 90% of today's 500 fastest supercomputers run some variant of Linux, including the 10 fastest. Linux also runs on embedded systems (devices where the operating system is typically built into the firmware and highly tailored to the system) such as mobile phones, tablet computers, network routers, televisions and video game consoles; the Android system in wide use on mobile devices is built on the Linux kernel.  There you go, your short snippet for today and of course, if you want to know more, Wikipedia is great!


May the crafting mojo be with you :)

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...